SIDS claims the lives of almost 2,500 infants in the US each year - that's nearly 7 babies every day.
SIDS is not caused by "baby shots."
SIDS deaths occur unexpectedly and quickly to apparently healthy infants, usually during periods of sleep.
SIDS is not caused by suffocation, choking, or smothering.
SIDS is not caused by child abuse or neglect.
SIDS is not contagious.
SIDS occurs in families of all races and socioeconomic levels.
SIDS cannot be predicted or prevented and can claim any baby, in spite of parents doing everything right.
Reduce The Risk
We don’t know what causes SIDS, so we cannot say how to “avoid” it, but we can provide you with the most up-to-minute guidelines for reducing the risk of SIDS and other sudden unexplained infant deaths (SUID). First and foremost, educate yourself and everyone who cares for your baby on how to reduce the risks by following these guidelines:
1. Always lay your baby to sleep face up.
Side and tummy positions are not safe; check with your doctor if your baby has breathing problems.
2. Don’t smoke while pregnant and never smoke near your infant.
While pregnant or considering pregnancy do not smoke. Never let others smoke near your baby. Smoking is a major risk factor for SIDS.
3. Don’t let your baby get too hot.
Overheating is a leading risk factor for SIDS. Dress your baby in as much or as little as you would wear. If your baby is sweating, has damp hair, or a heat rash, he or she may be too hot. Room fans have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. Consider using a wearable blanket or other type of sleeper instead of a blanket.
4. Lay your baby to sleep in an approved crib, on a firm mattress.
Do not let the baby sleep on soft things, like a couch, pillow, sheepskin, foam pad, or waterbed. Remove all loose bedding, stuffed animals, and pillows from crib. Crib bumpers are not recommended and can be hazardous.
5. Create a healthy lifestyle for you and your baby.
When pregnant, see your doctor often and do not use drugs or alcohol. Talk with your doctor about changes in your baby and how your baby acts.
6. If possible, breast feed your baby.
Breast feeding has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
7. Offer your baby a pacifier at all sleep times.
Pacifiers have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
8. Put your baby on his or her tummy to play when your baby is awake and supervised.
Make sure someone is always watching. “Tummy Time” is good for your baby because it makes neck and shoulder muscles stronger.
9. Don’t share sleep surfaces.
Adult beds, couches, and chairs are not safe for infant sleep and increase the risk of SIDS, suffocation and accidental infant death. After breast feeding put your baby back in his or her crib.
10. Share these tips with everyone who cares for your baby.
Education is the key to keeping your baby safe.
1. Always lay your baby to sleep face up.
Side and tummy positions are not safe; check with your doctor if your baby has breathing problems.
2. Don’t smoke while pregnant and never smoke near your infant.
While pregnant or considering pregnancy do not smoke. Never let others smoke near your baby. Smoking is a major risk factor for SIDS.
3. Don’t let your baby get too hot.
Overheating is a leading risk factor for SIDS. Dress your baby in as much or as little as you would wear. If your baby is sweating, has damp hair, or a heat rash, he or she may be too hot. Room fans have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. Consider using a wearable blanket or other type of sleeper instead of a blanket.
4. Lay your baby to sleep in an approved crib, on a firm mattress.
Do not let the baby sleep on soft things, like a couch, pillow, sheepskin, foam pad, or waterbed. Remove all loose bedding, stuffed animals, and pillows from crib. Crib bumpers are not recommended and can be hazardous.
5. Create a healthy lifestyle for you and your baby.
When pregnant, see your doctor often and do not use drugs or alcohol. Talk with your doctor about changes in your baby and how your baby acts.
6. If possible, breast feed your baby.
Breast feeding has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
7. Offer your baby a pacifier at all sleep times.
Pacifiers have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
8. Put your baby on his or her tummy to play when your baby is awake and supervised.
Make sure someone is always watching. “Tummy Time” is good for your baby because it makes neck and shoulder muscles stronger.
9. Don’t share sleep surfaces.
Adult beds, couches, and chairs are not safe for infant sleep and increase the risk of SIDS, suffocation and accidental infant death. After breast feeding put your baby back in his or her crib.
10. Share these tips with everyone who cares for your baby.
Education is the key to keeping your baby safe.
Information from http://www.cjsids.org/








34 comments:
Thank you for creating awareness about SIDS... this always seems to be such a taboo subject that people sweep under the rug when it happens..... the better informed a parent is, the better the decisions they make..... you are an inspiration!
Wow you would think after three kids I would know all that but I didn't. Thanks for sharing this information it was very helpful.
Thank you for sharing this.. so many people are ignorant when it comes to SIDS.. and I hate that when I tell people that's what happened they look at me as if I did something wrong as a parent. It's up to us momma's now to spread the awareness and the CORRECT information on what it is. So thank you for this! It is one of my missions in honor of Savanna to fight the fight and we are in hopes that one day.. these blogs of reducing the risk will no longer be necessary. hugs to you mama xxoo
You did a wonderful job with this and providing excellent information. Thank you for sharing! Hugs to you today!!
Thanks for the information. I have been following you and your story for awhile. I will definitely keep this back to reference.
Thanks for the info :)
Thinking of you here in GA
Thank you for the wonderful tips. I am so sorry again for your loss.
You forgot the monitor! The Angel Care monitor will sound off if your baby stops breathing for twenty seconds....
I will talk about monitors in another blog..
thank you for all the great info. My little girl is almost 4 months old and SIDS freaks me out. She still sleeps in our room with us and I check on her multiple times a night. You & your husband are very strong people and I cant imagine the pain your going through.
I love all your bows that you've been making, they are beautiful. Good luck with all your new business ideas. Your family has touched so many lives including mine. After reading your story I've given way more hugs and as if I didn't take a lot of pictures of my kids before reading your story I take LOTS more now. Thank you for sharing your story with us and touching so many lives.
You are doing such an amazing thing by informing mothers about SIDS. This is one of those subjects that parents want to ignore. It's too hard to have to think that "it could happen". I have always been a parent very nervous about SIDS after my mom lost my brother. I thought I would have a better chance since I had a sibling that died from it. I learned thru research that that is not necessarily the case. I am so thankful to you for sharing this information to women who may be pregnant or who may become pregnant. You are such an amazing women and such an inspiration to everyone who follows your blog. I know Maddie is looking down on you with her heart so full of pride for her momma. She telling all the other angels in heaven about you! Lots of Love and Prayers to you and James and Miss Maddie!!
Thank you so much for sharing this information. My baby girl is almost 5 months and I have read up on SIDS but it is always great to have this reminder! You are an inspiration to our family and our hearts go out to you! We still say a little prayer to Maddie everyday! **hugs** from WI.
I have two very dear friends who lost their babies right after their 4 months shots.. Its terrible...both ruled SIDS both told due to Vaccines.:(
Thank you so much for sharing this Kellie!
Kellie, you put out some wonderful information and hopefully it can help save some babies.
I started reading your blood a few weeks ago, after hearing about you on the Kelly's Korner blog. I just want to express my deepest sympathy to you and your husband. I just can't even imagine the kind of pain you are enduring. I hope that in time you can start to heal, at least a little.
My kids are 17 and 20, and I feel so lucky that they are strong and healthy. I remember with my first child, my son, I was so afraid of things like SIDS. My husband got up very early for work, and I told him to always check the baby before he left because if I woke up later and something was wrong and I was by myself, that I didn't think I could take it. I remember those fears so well, but I can't imagine your pain and loss. Your family is in my prayers, and I'm sure Heaven is a little brighter now with sweet little Angel Maddie.
Your family continues to be in our prayer. I have two little boys and I STILL to this day check and make sure they are breathing while they are sleeping.
Have they ruled out all other causes of death yet??? Or are they saying it was for sure SIDS?
Cathy
I came across this series that a fellow blogger is doing "Infant Loss/miscarriage" I thought I would pass it on to you.
http://liferearranged.com/category/infant-lossmiscarriage/
Thank you so much for sharing that info.
Thank you for sharing this. I was shocked to read some comments on your Facebook that there were parents out there who had never even heard of SIDS. It's so important to educate people so we can prevent as many SIDS deaths as possible.
Bless you and James and your sweet baby angel. I pray for you every day.
Thank you for sharing this inofrmation!!
xoxoox
Thanks for sharing the info - education is the best way to help others. I wish more people were aware that bumper pads are unsafe. When my daughter was born, I had so many people asking where they were! They thought the crib would be too 'hard' on her ... but in reality it's that lack of fluffy pads that helps keeps a baby safer.
I think about you everyday. When I say prayers with my daughter at bedtime your family is included in them....
Thats good stuff Momma! Love you!
I've been curious, and perhaps you have already mentioned this...Did Maddie have her 4 month vaccines done? I know LOTS of ppl say they don't cause SIDS, but I've always worried about that. I also wanted to let you know about a monitor called SNUZA, it is like the Angel care except this one is a tiny monitor that clips to baby's diaper so he/she is mointored wherever he may be sleeping vs the ANgle care can only be used where you have it set up at. I have a 7 month old that has used it 24/7 since 3 months and will contine to use it till he's 1. I'm not telling you this so you can feel bad, I 'm telling you so that when you have future kids you can hopefully feel less nervous with the monitor. (((HUGS Momma)))
at my work [a child care center] we just went over SIDS awareness today at our staff meeting [3.22.11]
I heard Rascal Flatts' song, Won't Let Go, today and it made me think of you. Thank you for posting this and establishing awareness of SIDS. Your strength amazes me.
Thank you for sharing this! I have an additional tip. I read that having a ceiling fan in your baby's room is a good idea. It keeps the air from getting stagnant and keeps the air moving. Also, it can keep the baby from getting too hot. I put one in my daughters room before she was born. Kellie, you are so strong. I pray for you everyday.
Thank you for this info. I did not know some of this. I will for sure do everything I can to make my baby safer. Thank you so much again!
I am a new follower and last night I read through your blog and honestly just cried my eyes out for a few hours after. I am amazed by the strength that God has blessed you with and I will continue to keep you & your family in my prayers.
xoxo.
Thanks for posting that, Kellie! Really good reminders and information. Continued prayers being sent your way:)
Thank you for posting about this! The more aware people are of SIDS, the more parents can take preventitave measures to lessen the risk! <3
What a great way to honor your daughter's memory. Spreading information and helping another family prevent a tragedy. What an amazing mother Maddie has. Started reading your blog shortly after your daughter passed, you are on my mind a lot. So many people are thinking of your family and I hope you feel their strength. My daughter, Ellie died in October and I've found that the people I've met through my blog have helped me the most. Your daughter is beautiful and your photos are great! You are going to be an excellent photographer!
thebrokenroad-tiffany.blogspot.com
http://www.childrenshospital.org/cfapps/research/data_admin/Site164/mainpageS164P0.html
A theory for what could be causing SIDS.
I am going to copy & paste this into my own blog, I hope you don't mind!
Another theory about SIDS:
http://www.prevent-sids.org/toxic-gas-theory.htm
I don't know if there is any truth to it or not, but it is something to consider in addition to everything else. The evidence is very compelling.
Post a Comment