I was asked about Mattress wrapping.. So here is some info on it.
Mattress wrapping is based on the toxic gas theory. The theory states that toxic nerve gases permeate from all used mattresses: crib, bassinet, adult mattresses and even sofa cushions. The gases are created when fungus grows inside the mattress (or foam) and eats certain elements in the mattress, including phosphorus, arsenic, and antimony. Babies, especially those sleeping on their stomachs, breathe in the toxic nerve gases, which results in crib death, or SIDS.
Mattress wrapping, which is essentially wrapping the mattress in a polyethylene cover, prevents the gases from getting into the baby's breathing space. The polyethylene sheeting does not allow the gases to permeate, thereby preventing inhalation and subsequently preventing crib death.
Info from http://www.prevent-sids.org/








10 comments:
This is another blog that I follow, this sweet family also lost a baby to SIDS. I always think of you when I read her posts, it may be another blog that you would like to connect with...
http://therumleys.blogspot.com/2011/06/celebrating.html
The above post was from today, I wanted to pass it along to you. Much love, many prayers~
Meg
I stumbled across your blog today, and I tearfully read almost every entry about your sweet angel Maddie. I am not a mommy yet, but wanted you to know that your story has forever impacted me. I will be thinking about you and husband and praying for you both!
Kellie,
That would explain why keeping a fan on in the baby's room reduces the risk of sids. I'm going to do some research on mattress wrapping. Thank you so much for posting this! Hugs!
Brandie
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby girl. I can truly say that you are an amazingly STRONG woman of God who is so inspiring to all of us moms. You have made me a better mom and have made me conscience of the world of SIDS.
I, recently, purchased the Naturepedic organic mattress after reading about crib death contributing to SIDS due to toxic gasses. It was very out of our budget, but something I knew we had to purchase to ease my mind. I just wanted to let you and your readers know that Naturepedic is one of the very very few organic mattresses out there that are what they say they are: 100% organic inside and out.
Praying for you and your family,
Stella
Kellie,
Thank you so much for posting this information about Mattress Wrapping. I have never heard of this but will for sure be using this for our next child. Your strength is amazing and I wish you continued healing. Your blog has forever changed my outlook as a Mom.
I will continue to pray for you and your husband.
Nicole
Thank you for sharing this. I had never heard of it. I will now share with my friends and spread the word so people can be more informed!!!
Thanks for sharing girl! J found out about this a few weeks after Savanna passed. He was desperate to find info to help him deal with the grief. He's a facts kind of person and loading up on information is how he processed. So we decided that ny friend we have we will be purchasing one of these for them and we are also going to choose a daycare each year to donate them too...
Although i know it won't completely prevent another family from experiencing this pain, I am in hopes we can save another family from this world of loss.
Sending you love always my friend
xoxo
Thank you for sharing this information. I hadn't heard about it before but I deffinetly plan on looking into it for our future little one. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.
Mattress wrapping...is it just for old mattresses or should parents do them on new ones as well? What I'm worried about now is that I have twins. My daughter sleeps on my older son's old mattress and her twin brother we bought a new one for. Even though they are past the risk for SIDS at 13 months, I am still concerned about this. Thanks Kellie :)
I read your blog and my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone that has to go through this. It's wonderful that you are educating others in the prevention of SIDS! I believe if you buy an organic mattress, free from these chemicals, it's much safer for baby (and this one that we bought doesn't cost much more than "standard" mattresses). http://www.cymaxstores.com/L-A-Baby-Organic-Cotton-2-in-1-Orthopedic-Crib-Mattress-MT5250ORGJD.htm
Post a Comment