Monday, June 27, 2011

Maddie

Yesterday it kind of snuck up one me.. grief...

I was having a great weekend just hanging out with James and BAM out of no where it hits me!! I started crying and could not stop. This was the first of many to come ''grief attacks''.

I miss Maddie so much. Everything reminds me of her.

I try HARD very VERY hard not to think about that horrible day I got "the call" or the day of her funeral. Why do I want to remember those days? I want to remember my sweet happy Maddie. Well those days have started to sneak up on me. I will be doing something and BAM a image of that day will flash in my head. WHY? I don't want to remember that. I am sure this is normal, but I'd like to skip this phase.

I do feel better about calling the medical examiner. James and I both now know we did everything right. We didn't "miss'' anything medically wrong with her. She was healthy and happy. Unfortunately SIDS is something that will happen, it can not be totally prevented. There are many things that you can do to reduce the risk (see below), but it cant be totally prevent. I feel like we did everything right to the "T" during pregnancy and after until the day she was taken from us. SIDS is not discriminate.

I feel like I need to post these again.....

How to reduce the risk of SIDS

We don’t know what causes SIDS, so we cannot say how to “avoid” it, but we can provide you with the most up-to-minute guidelines for reducing the risk of SIDS and other sudden unexplained infant deaths (SUID). First and foremost, educate yourself and everyone who cares for your baby on how to reduce the risks by following these guidelines:

1. Always lay your baby to sleep face up.
Side and tummy positions are not safe; check with your doctor if your baby has breathing problems.
2. Don’t smoke while pregnant and never smoke near your infant.
While pregnant or considering pregnancy do not smoke. Never let others smoke near your baby. Smoking is a major risk factor for SIDS.
3. Don’t let your baby get too hot.
Overheating is a leading risk factor for SIDS. Dress your baby in as much or as little as you would wear. If your baby is sweating, has damp hair, or a heat rash, he or she may be too hot. Room fans have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. Consider using a wearable blanket or other type of sleeper instead of a blanket.
4. Lay your baby to sleep in an approved crib, on a firm mattress.
Do not let the baby sleep on soft things, like a couch, pillow, sheepskin, foam pad, or waterbed. Remove all loose bedding, stuffed animals, and pillows from crib. Crib bumpers are not recommended and can be hazardous.
5. Create a healthy lifestyle for you and your baby.
When pregnant, see your doctor often and do not use drugs or alcohol. Talk with your doctor about changes in your baby and how your baby acts.
6. If possible, breast feed your baby.
Breast feeding has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
7. Offer your baby a pacifier at all sleep times.
Pacifiers have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
8. Put your baby on his or her tummy to play when your baby is awake and supervised.
Make sure someone is always watching. “Tummy Time” is good for your baby because it makes neck and shoulder muscles stronger.
9. Don’t share sleep surfaces.
Adult beds, couches, and chairs are not safe for infant sleep and increase the risk of SIDS, suffocation and accidental infant death. After breast feeding put your baby back in his or her crib.
10. Share these tips with everyone who cares for your baby.
Education is the key to keeping your baby safe

13 comments:

NM said...

I am glad you are feeling okay about calling the ME office. I hope I will feel the same way, except they want to meet with me. I am scared to death! It's been one day short of 7 months now since he has been gone...it still feels like yesterday. I am approaching his first birthday as well (7/28)

It is very sad how people have to meet this way but it's nice to know that there are others who understand to a degree. (that sounds awful but i'm sure you know what I mean)

Your Maddie looked like such a sweetheart. It breaks my heart to know she is gone.

VIRTUAL HUGS!

Nicole

Robin said...

Kellie, you are doing such a great job informing parents about SIDS. Keep up the good work! Maddie is proud!

Heidi said...

Maddie was such beautiful! I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing these helpful tips about SIDS!

Thoughts for the day said...

I think knowing it was sids is a relief can you even imagine if it was the babysitter and all that would involve? I often wondered because you had said she was 'in a bad mood' and just gave you a bad feeling. I think of you often and the grief your heart is feeling. take care

Jillian Vanover said...

Hi Kellie,

I've been following your blog since shortly after sweet Maddie went to Heaven. I know that you have been promoting SIDS awareness and wasn't sure if you were familiar with the AngelCare monitors. While they certainly don't prevent the causes, they can help by alerting parents if respiration is no longer detected, perhaps buying some precious time where life-saving techniques can be employed. Hope this is a token of info that might be helpful! Praying for you!

Laura said...

I'm so sorry Kellie :( I kind of know what you mean. My father died when I was 12, and for like the whole first year after, EVERYTHING seemed to remind me of him. It will never ever be easy, but I promise it will get easier. Only time can heal.

love you<3
stay strong!
Laura

Meg said...

Thank you for posting this. I always appreciate people sharing ways to keep other babies safe. I'm thinking about you.

Ag's Blog said...

I can't imagine what you are going thru - but please know that because of Maddie, I am now aware of SIDS. I would have never looked into it before. My baby is due Oct. We had a lot of similar dates we shared (found out it was a baby boy on June 3rd), etc. Again - please know your angle is saving a lot of lives.

Channan said...

Hey Kellie, I have to say I am so glad to see others spreading SIDS awareness as it's just not talked about enough for whatever reason. I know Maddie is proud of you and as a mom who has lost a baby to SIDS, I, too, am proud of your ability to alert others. Our girls will one day make an even bigger impact than they already have. Here's my blog if you want to check out our journey as well since our girls were so close in age and time they passed.

www.ainsleeryan.blogspot.com

Much love,
Channan

Laura Smith said...

Kellie,
I have read your blog for a while and have never commented...just prayed for your healing. I just wanted to share something with you that I hope will lift your spirits. I want you to know that your Maddie saved my baby girl's life. I have always been terribly fearful of SIDs and took any precautions that I knew about. I can remember when my baby boy was first born I would sleep with my head on my nightstand so that I could reach my hand in his bassinet to make sure he was breathing. However, I had never thought about my babies sleeping in the swing. Ever since reading about Maddie's story I became very vigilent about checking on my 5 month daughter when she was in her swing. Recently she was sleeping in her swing and I was busily running around the house doing chores. Something (I think it was Maddie) told me to go check on her immediately although she had only been sleeping for a little while. When I went into her room I realized that I had not properly latched the harness. She had slid down and had a blanket over her face. She was sweating and barely breathing. I know that Maddie saved her. I can't even imagine what you are going through! I am so so sorry that you are walking in these terrible "shoes." I thought it may help to know that your sweet little angel is continuing to touch lives.

Alyssa Auch said...

Many hugs for you, sweetie

Jessica said...

thank you for posting this. my little girl will be 4 months next week. i have been following since the day you found out. (((hugs)))

Heather Elliott said...

Hi my name is Heather. I have been following your blog for a few months now and my heart breaks for you every time I read it. You are so strong. I have three childred and can't imagine.

"Greif Attacks" I have never heard this before. 8 years ago I lost my brother in a car accident...he was just a few days shy of 20 years old. And still to this day just out of no where I re play the day I got "the call" and the day I seen my baby brother laying in a casket and I break down and cry just out of no where and its been 8 years. I wasn't sure this was normal but I guess when you lose someone close to you there is no "normal".

Stay strong and know that your beautiful little princess is happy and free and being taken care of by the best babysitter you could ask for.

God bless you and your husband.

LinkWithin

Photobucket
Using images by Laurie Ann at After 5 Designs and The Design Girl at ScrapMatters.