This week I am really going to be busy getting ready to go back to work. I love teaching but I love my summer break! I am not ready for it to be over!! I have been asked to post some pictures of my classroom and I
will when it's all finished!!
I was thinking about doing paper lanterns for Maddie's birthday. You put a candle in them and they float in the air. Does anyone know how to make them or where to buy them? I have been putting off planning her birthday. But I guess it's time. I don't have to much longer. It hurts so bad planning her birthday and she is not even here. :(








19 comments:
I know it must be so hard but she has touched so many lives! I think your idea is awesome and I know she will be there with you as she is every day!
What a beautiful idea...Well, here are the instructions for "Flying Latterns":
1
Pin four sheets of tissue paper to the clothesline and spray with fireproofing product, avoiding the corners where the pins are. Allow the paper to dry.
2
Glue each sheet of treated tissue paper to an untreated sheet, joining them lengthwise with a thin layer of adhesive.
3
On craft paper, draw a pattern that resembles half of a mitten. Your completed lantern will resemble a hot-air balloon when the four pieces are joined. Make four half-mitten pieces from the craft paper and tape them together, with the flat portion open on the bottom, creating a mock-up of your lantern and adjusting where necessary. When you are satisfied with the design, remove the tape.
4
Using the craft pattern as a guide, cut the tissue paper, making four slightly curved pieces with one straight edge. Glue the lantern pieces together, leaving the straight edge open, creating the bottom of the lantern.
5
Make a bamboo hoop. Split the bamboo into thin strips, carefully moving a knife slowly down the length of the pole. Test the strips for pliability by bending them slightly between your hands. Once you find a pliable piece, sand it until it is smooth. Form a hoop with the bamboo strip and secure the ends with glue.
6
Install a wire "X" onto the frame; secure in place with staples. Cover the cardboard square with foil and secure it to the center of the "X" with tape, staples or glue.
7
Make a foil cup, large enough to hold the cotton ball. Tape this to the center of the pad.
8
Attach the tissue paper to the hoop at the open bottom with tape, staples or glue--remember, it works like a hot-air balloon, so the foil cup should face the inside.
9
Take your lantern outside. Soak the cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and place the saturated cotton in the foil cup. Light the cotton on fire and hold the lantern, allowing it to fill with warm air. When the sides are hot and you can feel the lantern pulling away, release it.
Read more: How to Make Flying Paper Lanterns | http://www.ehow.com/how_4826178_make-flying-paper-lanterns.html#ixzz1TulxBgir
I just looked those up the other day. I saw them on the bachelorette and thought they were amazing! Here is how to make them ... http://www.ehow.com/how_4826178_make-flying-paper-lanterns.html ... I don't know how easy it would be to find all the things you need though. I know where I live I wouldn't be able to find bamboo. There were lots of place to buy them though for like $1.50 a piece, I think they might even have them at Target. Hope that helps! :)
http://www.skylanterns2u.com/ I found this site and used them for an event, hope this helps and as always prayers for your family.
Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo let one go at their wedding. It was to symbolize the beginning of a new life for them. I think it'd be a great idea for you and way for you and your family to honor Maddie on her special day!
One last thing! http://romerfamilyof3.blogspot.com/2011/08/10-day-you-challenge.html
I started doing this 10 day "You" Challenge. It's been a lot of fun (I'm only on day one), but I'm excited about the rest. I know the rest of us out here in blog world would love to get to know you better. It's a fun way to connect!
Good for you for getting away for a mini-vaca. It does the body and mind good.
I have attached a link to a place that sells the lanterns.
http://ads.justartifacts.net/landings/skylanterns/1.50dollar.htm?cp=skylan&ad=1.5d&kw=wedding%20flying%20lanterns&nw=sc
I've seen where you can buy them on Amazon.com. They are kind of expensive on that site so maybe shop around. That seems like such a wonderful idea for her birthday. Reminds me of the movie Tangled :)
I think I know what you are talking about lantern wise and saw some at The Christmas Tree shops if you have any of those around you
Kellie, I love the sky lanterns! They are so pretty! Here is a website that you can order from.
http://www.skylanterns2u.com/
You can order paper lanterns online, they have a piece of material that is attatched to them that you light (no candle needed) and they don't come down until they burn out which is very safe. Google chinese lanterns. They come in every color and are so very beautiful when lit and in the sky. Hope this helps
Google chinese lanterns, you can order then online and are very cheap. They come in a variety of colors and don't require a candle. They also don't come down until they burn out and are so beautiful in the sky. Sorry if post came up 2 times.
Oh wow another Kylie M above. Don't get many in the UK, I feel the name belongs to me haha. Glad you had a great mini break, you deserve it. Flying Lanterns sound stunning to celebrate Maddies special day. x
Kellie - I'm doing the sky lanterns for Erik's birthday as well. I've found some on amazon as well as here...
http://www.wholesaleskylanterns.com/ecom-catshow/skylanterns_by_the_case.html
Goodmorning........I would like to share what is written below to you, this is from my friend Bridget Ryan....from her friend Shelly.....hope it helps you....
Bridget: I have a friend that is pregnant for the 16th time. Her and her husband have three sweet kiddos living with them and one on the way:)...she has lost 11 babies to miscarriage and one that was stillborn. So 12 babies are waiting for them in heaven....
From Shelly:
I feel as though so many women don't feel free to grieve the loss of their babies in the way that they need to, the way that God built them to grieve over the loss of someone they love- someone He loves. I feel as though too many books on grief don't talk about how it REALLY feels to have your heart ripped out. I think people assume that if you are angry or disappointed that you are somehow sinning in your grief. I have a rough outline of a book on this topic, that I add to on a regular basis, and I am starting to think that it might actually be written..... Any woman that has suffered a loss of a baby at any stage of pregnancy or as an infant that would like to share your story with me PLEASE do. You can share it here in the comments or send me a message or email. I want to hear your story. I want to hear what helped you and hindered you in your grieving process and I want to know what hurt you more as you suffered through your loss. What did friends, family, doctors, nurses, and strangers say or do that hurt or helped? What was your grieving process like? How did it flow? What did you learn? What did God reveal to you through it? What does it look like a month down the road, 6 months, a year or more down the road? I want honest feelings- not just what others want to hear. I want a genuine, heartfelt experience to help me in the writing process. The book needs to help, not sugar coat. It needs to be raw and real and bring glory to God. If the book comes to fruition you'll be one of the first to know and will receive the acknowledgement you deserve, that is if you want it. Share this note if you know someone else who might need to tell their story. So, share your story, your baby's story, with me if you feel comfortable. I would be honored......
fightforlife@charter.net
What a great way to celebrate her birthday. Here is a link in case you dont want to make them
EBAY - $1.68 each ~ Diamond Red Flying Sky (Wish) Lantern/Kongming Light - Just Artifacts Brand"
Hi There, I sent you a long email this morning....I am not expecting to see you post it in the comments on your blog, I meant to send it to you privately, knowing you had this option that you review them I did so. If that messgae hurt you in any way, I am sorry...
marieg@ucr.edu
P.S. I see you have an advertisement for Catholic match...that is where I met my hubby! :-)
This looks like a good site to buy them at. My husband had some he bought at a Fly In (Airshow) and we did them on the 4th of July.
Lantern Info:
Quantum Fireworks
191 Shannon Ct. (office only)
Winchester, VA 22602
toll free: (800) 849-2165
fax: (540) 266-3152
email: sales@fireworks.us
There is a website also but it doesn't show up in their contact us info. I found it by googling releasing paper lanterns. I recommend purchasing them and writing on them or decorating them as you want to, because making them would be costly and possibly dangerous. Good luck.
I have never been in your "shoes" but I admire your strength. I have been married 30 years and was never able to conceive at all but I am reminded of the saying that it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. I must disagree because I think the losing of someone you love is tougher and when that someone is taken from you without any warning and is so precious as your Maddie IS that it has to be the worst loss in the world. My Mama lost a daughter due to pneumonia (1954 - before medical technology was better) My sister, Kathy was 13 months old when Gail was born and Gail was 13 months old when she was taken from our family. I was born 7 years later. My Mama says that of course you never get over losing a child but that time will help your grief. Although you will never forget Maddie and thememories you made please know that she is watching over you & her Daddy from Heaven and she is waiting for the day that you are blessed with another baby and she will watch over that baby as well and be happy for you all.
THESKYLANTER.COM is where we got ours! They are really neat and easy to do!
Post a Comment