Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I feel like I NEED to share this





SAFETY ALERT

Crib Bumper Pads Pose a Suffocation,
Strangulation & Choking Hazard for Babies

Do not use crib bumpers in cribs, bassinets
and other sleep environments.

What You Need to Know

-Due to their lack of strength and motor development, infants may suffocate, choke and/or become strangled in a crib bumper.

-The American Academy of Pediatrics, Kids in Danger, American SIDS Institute, SIDS of Illinois, and the Canadian Health Department all warn parents not to use crib bumpers.

-The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is re-examining the safety of crib bumpers.


This is from KeepingBabiesSafe.org

I know some mommies (me included) choose to use the breathable bumpers. The BEST and SAFEST way is NO bumpers! But, its your choice. I just felt like I needed to share this info with you again!

8 comments:

Steph said...

you should check out wonder bumpers. I got some after my little girl stopped breathing during her nap one day because she was smashed up against a regular bumper. They go around each individual rail so it still provides a cushion which protects their head when they do start moving, narrows the space between the rails to keep legs and hands from getting caught and leaves the crib as open to air as not having bumpers would. they are amazing. pricey but worth it.

Unknown said...

It's so strange that they are allowed to sell them at all... I mean cribs have regulations on how they can be made, it's odd that something so gangrenous is on the market at all any more!

Sunshine and Spoons said...

I make crib bedding at my boutique and after I started reading your blog, I removed crib bumpers from the bedding sets. Thank you!

Kelly said...

I stopped using bumpers after my daughter (4) got tangled in one. I came home from work and my ex was playing on the computer, I heard her fussing but it sounded strange, so I went in to check on her and her face was totally covered and she was stuck between the bumper and the crib side.... they got thrown out the next day. My son, doesn't have anything in his crib, especially now with the heat. I won't ever use the bumpers again though, that's for sure.

Robin said...

Thanks so much for all you're doing to help parents become more aware of safety. We had purchased a bumper to match all of Morgan's bedding set, but once she started sleeping in there, we pulled the bumper out. I hope you and James have a great day today! Enjoy the rest of your summer vacation!

Jesse R. said...

When our baby was newborn we didn't use bumpers at all. They don't move much as a NB so no need for them. I did start to use them around 9 mos cause she would hit against the slats in her sleep and wake up & cry. I removed the bumpers recently since she is over a year old but The other night she got her thigh stuck between the slats of the crib so bad we were about to cut them to get her out. My hubby tried a whole tube of vaseline and it worked thankfully. She has a terrible bruise on both sides of her thigh. We got breathable bumpers the next day and it hasn't happened again. I think it all depends on age though.

Emily Love said...

I have learned so much through your blog. I'm currently pregnant and have no intention on using bumpers and I'm definitely wrapping his/her mattress. Thank you so much for all this valuable information.

Our Happy Little Family said...

After reading your blog and what happened, I took out my son's regular bumpers. He was still pretty young. After he woke up several time screaming I decided I needed to buy some of the breathable ones. I don't understand why if this is so dangerous to our babies they still sell these bumpers? It's so scary!! I had no idea when my oldest son was a baby. We used bumpers with him up until we moved him into his big boy bed.
Kellie, Thank you again for posting all this information!!!

LinkWithin

Photobucket
Using images by Laurie Ann at After 5 Designs and The Design Girl at ScrapMatters.