Mason's camera monitor sits on the back top rail of his crib in the far corner, the cord to the monitor runs unseen down the back of the crib rails (the thickest part of the crib because its the side) and then plugs into the wall. The cord to that monitor is very, very long. When the accident happened, Mason had pulled through the crib slats all the loose cord into his crib with him and was tangled up in it and had it wrapped around his neck 4-6 times, strangling himself because he had rolled around with it so much. So... what we have done now to prevent this from happening again is: the camera monitor still sits at the top of his crib in the corner so we can still see him at night when he is sleeping and napping on the weekends. We have double taped (either use masking tape or painters tape so it doesn't mess up the furniture) the cord to the back of the crib as it runs down to the floor, the rest of the long cord is gathered up and zip-tied together and then tape is around that and lays under the crib on floor. It plugs into the wall behind his crib, but my husband did go ahead and put tape around the plug part too where is attaches to the wall. I hope all of this makes sense. If parents choose to secure or nail the monitor to the wall, that is fine too, but the cord still has to run down the wall to plug in. So, its just important for the cord to be taped down or secured in someway that it is not loose for a baby to grab and play with.
Please, please, please go tape or nail up your monitor cords. We WILL be doing this in our bedroom and in the nursery when Jackson transitions into his own room. This is so very dangerous and I didn't think about this until Amber mentioned it.








45 comments:
Omg...this is so scary! Glad he is ok! Will definitely be taping up any cords now...thank you!
Omg...this is so scary! Glad he is ok! Will definitely be taping up any cords now...thank you!
I remember 10 month old baby Savannah Pereira died from this exact circumstance a couple years ago. How devastating. NEVER have cords of any kind near a baby or toddler.
We keep our video moniter on a dresser several feet away from the crib. I would only do that or mount it to the wall. I hate to tell other moms how to do things but this freaks me out. NO cords within reaching distance of the crib no matter how secure they are.
Wow. So scary.
We had a video monitor for our boys. I had my husband put a small shelf on the wall at the foot of the crib but out a foot or so. The camera was on the shelf pointing toward the crib/baby. The cord was at least a foot from the crib on the wall. It worked out great for us and was not within reach of the baby at all.
These things are so horrifying. Thank goodness that mother went in in time.
wow so scary. Thanks for sharing
Wow! This makes me want to run home right now and find another place for my son's video camera. The cord runs behind his crib but I will be making changes when I get home this afternoon. Thank you for this post.
I agree, if you can, place the monitor on a dresser or somewhere else in the room where it absolutely cannot be reached. We had the video camera resting on the changing table (attached to the crib) until our son rolled over. Then it got moved across the room. This is a very scary story and I'm so glad that the baby is okay.
Also never put a crib near a window with mini-blinds! Heard of a baby getting caught in the center cord that is threaded through the blinds itself...(not the pull cord)
Thanks for the reminder. That poor mommma must have been terrified! One other thing you can do (in addition to taping the cord down) is to wrap it tightly a couple of times around the crib leg. That will make it harder for them to pull it into their crib.
I agree, don't put the camera anywhere near the crib, no matter how secure. Why risk it? Ours is on a book shelf out of reach. We can still see her just fine and I don't have to worry.
Wow, that sounds horrible, I'm glad little Mason is ok!
Macabre, how the things supposed to protect our little ones can turn around into a death trap...
Thank you Kellie and Amber for sharing this, I'm gonna spread the message among the moms I know!
I was afraid of this with my daughter. So what I did was only leave about 3 inches, just enough to reach to the camera sitting on the edge of the mattress and then I tied the cord in a knot around the slat. Then I tied it again at the bottom of her crib.. Very hard to explain but I'd be glad to post pics. Anyway, I have tried to pull it out myself, and even if she unhooked the camera from the cord all she can get is about 3 inches or less of cord, and she can't possibly wrap that around her neck.. Hope this helps someone with out being too confusing.
I was scared of this same thing with my daughter. But there is no where else in her room to put the camera.. So I got a little creative. I still have it on the edge of the bed, like in the corner of the crib. Then I took 2-3 inches of cord and left it sticking up to plug into the camera.. Then I tied a knot around a slat so that she can't pull the cord in, so then the excess that was hanging to the ground still worried me so I pulled that as tight as it would go and tied it in a knot around the end of the bottom part of the leg on the crib. I hope this doesn't sound confusing... It's kind of hard to explain.. But I would be glad to share pictures with y'all. So now, the only tng she could do it unplug the camera (which she does when she wakes up) but, all she can get is about 2 inches of the cord and there is no way she could get that around her neck.
SO scary! I work in IT and we have all of our cords in containers (they look like plastic rectangles) going down the wall. It's what we use in our baby's room also. That way there is NO CHANCE of him getting the cords-they are wrapped securely in the container. That's my suggestion for parents :)
OMG our camera monitor sits the exact same way (atop his crib) and we never even CONSIDERED taping the wires! My baby is just getting mobile and reaching for everything so this is a must-do... thank you for this!
So very glad he's okay!!
My heart sank and I immediately started to cry when I read this!!! I instantly called my husband and told him to take down our monitor (which hangs by a nail on the wall next to his crib). I was just looking at it the other day wondering if my son could grab it. It will not go back up until it is securely taped to the wall! THANK you SO much for sharing! I am going to share this on my blog. SO SCARY!!!
What a scary situation, I'm glad the he is okay. I just got a video monitor. The instructions say to keep the monitor and cord at least ::three feet:: away from the crib. I know my very active toddler would work at a cord until it came free from tape, it might be a good idea to double check what the manufacturer's instructions say.
What a GREAT tip! I never used video monitors with my children - but this holds true for any cords that are lying around the house! I have a super curious 15 month old who is into EVERYTHING...
Thanks! (and Thank GOD baby Mason is ok...)
I dont even plug it in behind my daughters crib, I read a better suggestion is to hang the camera on the wall overlooking the crib, and plug it into another socket...even if it means having an extension cord and taping the cord along the floor boards of the room. I know my 19 month old would untape the cord from the wall if it was accessible, so I think its better to do as I mentioned before, but thats just a suggestion I heard :)
Wow scary, we tied the cord in several places around the crib rail that runs along the bed skirt and along the molding we stapled it. So glad the baby is OKAY HTH
That is so scary. Never thought about that. So glad he is okay. Thank you for educating us on these things because you never think that anything like that will happen.
I am not sure which brand you bought, or plan to buy, but the one I have, (and several others I was lookng at), in addition to the many warnings that are in the manual and on the packaging, come with specific plugs that you screw/bolt into your wall that secure the cords so that they cannot be pulled away from the wall, for this exact reason.
I realize that some may not like the idea of holes in their walls, but I find it to be a very small sacrifice. They can always be repaired.
Babies R Us carries a plug cover that is a little box...you wrap the cord inside to keep it mostly hidden. They are kinda ugly, but they help. Just a thought!
We also had an incident with a monitor. I don't like Levi's room being on the opposite end of the house, so I put a twin bed in his room and sleep in there with him. Also, the monitor is mounted on the wall. Levi somehow managed to get the monitor off of the wall. He only wrapped it around his arm, but he could have easily gotten it around his neck had he laid down to play with it instead of standing up. I don't use a video monitor, but I put a table far enough away from his bed that he cannot reach it and put the monitor on that table. I still sleep in the room with him, and the monitor is now closer to me than it is to him, but we mostly use it for a night light instead of for a monitor because it has a soft green light on it also.
my son was notorious for trying to undo the chord to his video monitor and it's scary when they get their hands on it. We had to do the same thing and totally rig it so he couldn't reach and/or get a hold of it. so glad her son is okay. we have our mounted on the wall above the crib, it helped to keep it a little "safer" from him.
Wow really "GibsonTwins". You seem like wonderful mom. I guess you think it's fun to go bash angel mommies. Who else are you bashing so I can warn them?
No, I can not protect my son for everything but I CAN reduce the risks of some incidents.
I have EVERY reason to be over protective. If I remember correctly I have even said that more then once. My daughter died and until you are living my life shut up!!!!
So what if I can't spell. I don't give a CRAP! I write this blog for me....NOT you! For your information I didn't write a word of this post. It came directly from Amber, Mason's mom. All I am trying to do is help spread awareness so noone else has to feel what I feel EVERY DAY!
Gibson twins.... Of course you can keep a kid from dying! You fool! You can't prevent SIDS but you CAN prevent other accidents.
No need to bash people when they are down. Kellie has every right to write what she wants how she wants. You have every right to read or not read but for goodness sakes your rude comments are uneccesary!
This is such an unfortunate accident. However, I agree with many of the other moms, a cord should not be anywhere near the babies crib....even if taped down. It's just not worth the risk! Kellie, good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. Baby boys are the sweetest and love their momma's!!
Gibson Twins- I have heard some pretty unintelligent & ridiculous things said in my lifetime but WOW! You take the cake!
Kellie, PLEASE keep doing what you have been! You ARE saving babies' lives! I have 5 kids and my youngest is 6 months old. I just got my Snuza Halo monitor in the mail today & I haven't taken it off my daughter since I opened the box. You introduced me to the Snuza and I am in turn telling everyone I know about it. Even if they don't have babies, everyone knows someone with a baby. Thank you Kellie!!!
Thanks for always keeping us up to date and sharing things to keep us aware of potential dangers we otherwise wouldnt think about..
If you're interested follow my blog.. I'm a newbie to the blog world but it should be up and running like crazy in no time.. http://sincethewallsdonttalk.blogspot.com/
What a scary story - thanks for sharing it! We have the AngelCare movement monitor and it, too, has a long cord so make sure to take the same precautions if you get that off your registry!
I never had a video monitor but did have a regular baby monitor that I mounted on the wall next to my son's crib. I always thought it was far enough away but sure enough, he got ahold of it and knocked it down. Its so scary how fast things can happen. If I have a second child I will definitely be putting it very far out of reach. I'll also have no bumpers, blankets or pillows thanks to what I've learned from you Kellie. You are amazing and are helping so many people through your blog!
This morning Good Morning America tested a nursery for chemicals. I was only half awake when I heard it come on. I remember the numbers blowing me away and how many chemicals they found, coming from the paints off of decorations, the crib mattress and the crib itself! Is this something the wrap would prevent - at least from the mattress? Is the wrap a special kind of mattress or is it something you buy to put over the mattress? It is definately something I wish I had known about when my babies were little and glad I know now if we decide to have another! But it is information I will be passing on to friends and family!
OMG Kellie, don't listen to a word that b*%ch Brianne Gibson writes. She has nothing better to do than scrutinize other blogs and spew nonsense. She thinks she's a hero because she "exposes" fraud bloggers. What a loser. She must not be a very good mother considering all the time she spends on blogs identifying grammatical errors. Who cares!!
Thank you Kellie and Amber, I'm sure you saved some lives by sharing your stories.
Kellie, I can't imagine anyone actually being just downright mean and ignorant. Good luck to your kids Gibsontwins, since apparently you do nothing to protect them from getting hurt or worse.
OMG. SO glad Mason is okay!! thank you for sharing your story. Everyone think about blind cords and lamp cords near the crib too and don't underestimate how agile and deft toddlers can be.
Our Angelcare monitor has a long cord as well. It gives specific directions on how to wrap the cord around the leg of the bed to shorten the cord so it can't be pulled out by the baby. I wonder if the monitor had similar instructions and possibly they were missed? Either way please make sure she reports this to the manufacturer so they can correct the problem. I agree tape is not a permanent solution..there is just too much at risk.
Like a previous commenter mentioned please also be aware of the danger of mini blinds and strangulation. I had no idea until someone brought it to my attention about 2 weeks ago. http://pfwbs.org/main/
Glad Mason is doing well and thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.
Dear Gibson Twins, please leave here. You are not welcome. Unlike you the rest of us value information about protecting our children. No I can't protect my child from everything but I CAN keep myself as informed as possible.
Wow, she really does that? And she is calling me a freak? She must be a great mom. Spending all her time "exposing" blogs and not caring for her kids. Shame..Shame..
Hi Kellie ~
I have been following your blog for a while. I have a daughter names Madeline who is just a little than your Maddie. I have read your posts and cried thinking about how grateful I am for our precious girl. Please know that for every milestone we have reached, I have thought about and prayed for you. I love your blog and think it is so sad that people are so cruel. Thanks for all your info on keeping babies safe! Can't wait to see your journey with Jackson unfold!
We've got a video monitor, which is mounted up on a shelf, over the changetable, and the cord goes behind the changetable to the plug, so it doesn't need to go anywhere near the cot.
I heard about a similar incident on Oprah once, so have been pretty careful of it
Kelly- I am a huge fan of these "cord management" things. They attach to the wall and you can paint them to match the wall. It helps the cord situation to be less unsightly.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=SF_EL_Cord_Management&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Post a Comment